Friday 27 August 2010

A Nautical Affair....

I have always been attracted to striped garments. I'm not sure where this fixation comes from, but if you flick through the tee shirts in my wardrobe I would estimate that 70 percent of them have stripes in some shape or form. A nautical inspired look is something that suits me and plays to my tastes nicely... Boating shoes from Sperry or Superga cotu classic pumps, Roue Libre long sleeve tee's, Saint James breton knitwear, Guy Cotten or waterproof cagoules to top it off. Bright yellows, navy and white bretons, rustic oaks, clean cut... A style I find very wearable.

So I continue to pay homage to the season to season look that takes its inspirations from harbour sides and yachting scenarios in two, rather simple yet well constructed and perfectly styled pieces from Denmark protagonists Norse projects and Scandinavian street wear label Wood Wood.
First up, I've copped for the Hauge Tee from Norse, mainly because of its Weight and obvious durability. Constructed from a mid weight cotton, the feel of the garment is sheer quality and modestly priced at £47. I don't think you'll find a better quality tee shirt on the market for simplicity and style. Opinions will vary on the subject but after having an influx of tee shirts throughout the summer, including pieces from APC, R Newbold, Albam, Ralph Lauren and Folk. I can honestly say that the Norse effort is one of the better, if not the best out of the lot. Don't get me wrong, each label has their own specific detailing worthy of merit (Excluding APC, the quality of their summer Tees was appalling in my opinion) but the Norse Project Haugue feels so comfortable to wear and the overall look of the garment smacks cool. It's simple, it's neat and it's a look that i continue to adhere to.
Secondly, I've gone for Wood Wood's long sleeved stripe polo shirt which again has taken on a nautical style, opting for a Breton style stripe with contrasting collar and cuff detail. Wood Wood is a label that i have sparsely bought in the past (although they have turned out some excellent individual items, including last seasons Stockholm parka) every now and then they release something that really grabs my attention, anybody remember the ace 'gepetto' tee? I Still give it an airing every now and again. The 'I'll be your mirror' raglan sweat that I blogged a month or two ago as well, another class piece. However, this particular garment moves out of that street wear Esq arena of the aforemetioned items and lends itself a classic and all together smarter silhouette, something that i wouldn't normally associate with Wood Wood. They certainly pull it off though, in my humble opinion.
I'm sure some of you won't see the great attraction of two similar styled items, both hinting at a scene of trawler boats and a backdrop of vast oceans. However, everyone has their own take on the varied range of certain styles, whether that's recreating a modern day country gent or pulling off a work wear influenced get up... That neat, clean cut image of nautical chic is one that I will continue to love and wear. Strangley enough, I reguarly find myself peering out of my apartment window, checking for a non existent lighthouse.

Saul Wilks.

No comments:

Post a Comment