Wednesday 6 October 2010

Oi Polloi, Bringing Henri Lloyd back from the abyss?

I'm Like most modern day young un's who discovered their love of clothing and the importance of looking good, together with the attitudes that shape us and the way we are, through the medium of Football terraces and mischievous away days with mates. The first sort of things I got into were the more accessible labels that were stocked in places like my local 'Wardrobe' boutique and a small independent shop called Henry Cordy's.

I was around 15 at the time when I first acquired what were to be my first purchases, the obligatory Aquascutum house check shirt and Henri Lloyd cap, a staple for anyone of a certain age group who found themselves becoming immersed in football and the side attractions that came with it. These first couple of bits ultimately became the fore-running garments that shaped me into what I am today... A complete obsessive. That self-satisfaction I get when leaving a shop with a bag full of threads is just as strong as when I was 15 and I'm sure will be when I'm 50... It's addictive as I'm sure you and your bank balance all too aware.

Soon followed an identikit collection of checks, patches, hoods and those moody looking items that complimented the most shockingly inappropriate skinhead that has ever graced the bonce of a young gentlemen. However, Through the plethora of these match going labels for the young, that I, like the many thousands of new breed match going scamps adhered too, a few pieces stood out and are still fondly remembered.

One such was the Henri Lloyd Ultra MrK 2 - A waterproof hooded (of course) jacket with plenty of pockets and a roguish look that was perfect for football going activities. Like most, as time evaporated, I moved in the directions that I preferred the most, ultimately growing out of what are now, rightly or wrongly associated as 'chav' labels.


With this in mind I was elated to see Manchester's Oi Polloi breathing life into Henri Lloyd, a label dating back to 1963, which you never seem to hear anything of these days, not even favored by young match going lads anymore and unfortunately more likely to be found sported on an asbo-child running amok on some grim estate somewhere.


Being a label which has its own rich history and archives of complete relevance, Oi Polloi have definitely struck a chord in the shape of the magnificent looking Viking smok. Available in an array of colours, notably the vibrant and best Orange colourway.

Exclusively an Oi Polloi Collaboration, I'm thinking this is one cool piece of kit to have in your wardrobe for ambling around in the cold and Wet Months... What with Henri Lloyds Sailing associations, these smoks are asking to be dropped with plenty of Breton stripeage and should be an instant hit with the nautical-look disciples among us...

Such as yours truly.

Saul Wilks.

No comments:

Post a Comment