Tuesday 15 February 2011

Fresh and minty... Like a polo.

My wardrobe is chockablock with tee's... I've got more stripes than a herd of Zebras having a gang bang and they're all ready and waiting to be busted out in the coming summer months. From festivals to all day sessions, all night soiree's and sea-side frolics, it's an area of wear that I've pretty much got sewn up, but what about Polo's? I'm afraid to say It's an area I've somewhat neglected over time, usually opting for tee's and shirts during the warmer months. Don't ask me why because I do love a classic looking polo shirt - with the right accompaniments they look diamond, don't they?

With all this in mind I've decided to pluck up some readies and have a splurge ready for those longed for summer antics and adventures. For what it's worth, here's whats caught my wandering eyes over the past month or so.


Have you ever been in that arena where you think you may look a little camp? You have? Shame on you... Man up! With all joking aside a lot of chaps fear anything that comes in pastel or 'girl friendly' colourways.Thankfully I'm not one of that persuation and that's why I love this Salmon pink number from Ralph Lauren. It's not bubble-gum pink, so I'm not going to end up looking like a tool from Essex. It comes in the Custom fit cut which I prefer, meaning it's a nice slim fit and perfect for dropping with some shorts while swaggering around the beer gardens of blighty. Chuck in some sunglasses, some sun and you've got more dapperness that a Primary school PE lesson... First up on the summer hit list. Thanks Ralph, you never fail to deliver the goods.



Next up is a garment I've already blogged about, The Oliver Spencer multi-stripe button down polo. Would you just look at it... I mean really look at it, It's flawless! A Button down color on a slim cut polo is always going to be a winner in my book and Oliver Spencer takes all my well deserved plaudits with the fine use of varied coloured stripes. I've been waiting for this to become available since seeing a few glimpses of it a little while back and now it's going to get well and truly bagged up. To me this is without doubt a key piece of summer wear... it's Killer! Oliver Spencer's just too cool for school these days.




Norse Projects was one of, if not my favorite label from this past A/W. From the rain jacket collaborations with Elka to rugby-shirt swaggage with Barbarian and The Hideout, the Danish label turned out some quality garments. I've not really seen that much of their forth coming summer collections, they seem to have re-issued the Yellow Elka Rain coat and stuck a few five-panel caps out but nothing has really caught my eye as of yet apart from this partly striped effort. I'm never keen on navy woven cotton polo shirts, they always have the tendency to fade after a few washes, rendering them no use unless you want to wash your car in them so I'll more than likely hold off on this one but I'll still check it out in the flesh when I've got the time, I pretty much dig the nautical vibe going on (No surprise there then, I hear you say)




When I first clapped eyes on this Moncler effort I couldn't really make up my mind whether you'd have to be a Christiano Ronaldo lookalike or a Gay Italian skier to pull it off (Like most Moncler stuff) but I really like the colour and the way the moncler insignia looks against it. It's available in limited numbers so I guess I'd have to get my act together if I wanted to bag one before the UK based Milano set snap them all up... Then again, perhaps I was right first time around, Moncler should be left to people with ridiculously Orange Tango tans and shiny white teeth, Gucci Sunglasses optional.




Crossing the alps from Italy into France, this classic looking polo from Paris based uber - label Kitsune is pretty fetching. Perhaps pushing the limits of what one would like to spend on a Polo shirt, I personally think It's one of the nicest examples of a well cut, modern styled polo about at the moment. Although it has a steep price tag attached, the overall look doesn't really hint at it. I like the simplicity of the design and the eye catching smoke blue colour. This is definitely something I'd wear under a nice waffle cardigan for an evening stroll in the sunshine while breaking in the Mark McNairy / Bass Weejuns loafers... Cool and sophisticated for some Ivy League styling.




Last up I've chosen this sky blue / white polka dot Fred Perry. I couldn't do a piece on polo's and not include old Fred, could I? Quite a peculiar design with the small polka dot detailing, definitely harking back to the labels cultural heritage and the mod look... I reckon this is something best sported while legging a bird down a Brighton alley-way. After all, If it was good enough for Jimmy, then it's good enough for me, right?



Anyway, that brings me to an end of my Polo shirt shopping options for now but with so much new stuff coming out all the time I'm sure they'll have changed by next week. The Oliver Spencer and Ralph Lauren are definites however, I'm looking forward to seeing Our Legacy's jersey polo in the flesh (If they're anything like the sweats in terms of quality I'll be copping for one) which just about bring's me to my final thought on the matter... How many Polo shirts is acceptable in the modern day wardrobe? If it's anything like jackets, then this could be an expensive month.

Take it easy...

Saul Wilks.

No comments:

Post a Comment