Monday 21 November 2011

Something more than cinema...By Saul Wilks.


I love British cinema... I love it because it's real, I love it because it's thought provoking and isn't tarnished with loads of naff special effects. I love it because it's charming, and rustic and romantic and gritty and all the good things a film should be.

Okay, I'm probably being a bit general, but speaking in generalities British films usually deliver exactly the sort of feeling and experience I want from a piece of cinema. This film doesn't disappoint.

Submarine is a dreamy and genius slice of life in the world of Welsh teenager Oliver Tate, hopelessly in love, hopelessly lost in his own world and well, just hopeless. Battling to save his parents marriage and trying to win over the object of his affections is a balancing act that proves to be humorous yet touching in equal measures. The way this film is shot is pretty gorgeous and I can watch it over and again without getting board, forever being captivated by the beautiful way in which the romance is purveyed and the cinematography style in which the film is shot.

I'm in no way an expert at analysing or reviewing films, so I'll leave it to you to watch it yourself - if that's your thing. All I know is that for those with a romantic inclination, this film is pretty ace and certainly leaves you with a smile on your face and a pretty good feeling inside.


No comments:

Post a Comment