Wednesday 1 December 2010

Vinyl Delights...


It was only a matter of time until I couldn't resist a growing temptation and started buying vinyl again...

My trusty old Stantons and all my vinyl has been in storage since purchasing Pioneer CDJs, but numerous times on my travels I've ducked and dived in and out of record shops, debating purchases. Up until recently, they were few and far between and centred around more rarer Northern Soul tracks I remember from those Sunday afternoons spent at home when the old fella and mam had got back from a nighter. A few House bits and pieces were never far off but I had a good little splurge the other day and decided that enough was enough and the stantons would get dusted off for a second lease of life....

Among the new crop of purchases, a few little gems can be found... So this is a music post with a difference... Relax, limber yourself up and get ready to move, as I welcome you to have a root around my record box and the sounds that are making me tick at this present moment of time.

Enjoy!


Inner West Soul - Part One.

Inner West Soul is a pretty sorted chap called Leon from Sydney in Australia who has come to acclaim on soundcloud of late for some superb edits of tracks such as Surface - Falling in love and Slave - Feel My love. With a penchant for being able to pick some rather tasty source material, sometimes being records that shouldn't really be tampered with, and turn them into modern day dance floor destroyers, It wasn't long before Inner West Soul's workings would be found in a crate somewhere.

Being a massive fan of his numerous edits and mixes that adorn Soundcloud, I was delighted to come across his first vinyl release, a stellar rework of Electric Light Orchestra - Evil Women, while down in London recently. A monster piano loop and a melodic flow that makes you want to be in a field in the height of summer with your mates getting on one... With another cool edit of Silver convention - Get up and Boogie On the flip, It's a sure fire winner for one of my sounds of the minute!






Holy Ghost - Say my name (The Revenge Remix / Instrumental) DFA Records.

Holy Ghost and DFA are never far off the mark when releasing some ace sounds and this reworked release from Glaswegian Graeme Clark (The Revenge) brings things nicely into order. Coming in the form of an instrumental or remixed version, basically the same but with vocals. This is a start of the night sort of sound that will no doubt get some feet tapping and heads nodding, possibly even forcing some early night grooving... Whatever way you take it, it's a cool release from the Brooklyn based Label.






Ilija Rudman - Call me Tonight Vol 2 (Greg Wilson Version) Red Music Records.

I've had the Revenge 1-800 mix of this Ilija Rudman release for a little while and loved its laid back feel. This Greg Wilson version however, is a totally different ball game. Using the cow bells that are synonymous with his edits and reworks, he transforms this record into a fully blown dance floor gem. With gorgeous Piano loops, Smooth crooning vocals and an understated building rhythm that makes it pretty much impossible to keep still (It's taken me about 10 minutes to write this, I've been having a little move myself) This is a class record to have at one's disposable. Deep, Sexy and fun... It was made for people like me and you !






I hope you all enjoyed that? It was a pleasure for me... Take it easy and keep on moving!


Saul Wilks.

No comments:

Post a Comment