Tuesday 13 March 2012

When in Amsterdam - A Photographic Diary...By Saul Wilks


Yes, I do love a good pose (something my girlfriend points out on more than a regular occurrence) but there's method in my madness... I've just returned from an ace trip away with her to the beautiful and mind blowing city of Amsterdam.

The only other time I've been to Amsterdam prior to this was when I was an 18 year old scally-wag who unfortunately probably brought to life the lyrics of a Mike Skinner Streets record.

Having matured both in mind and spirit it's fair to say that I fell madly in love with Amsterdam and it's mesmerizing features - It's no Hastings, we can be sure of that.

My girlfriend, in all her wisdom, decided to take charge of accommodation arrangements and came up trumps with the perfect apartment smack bang on the Singel canal, which is pretty much central to all that the city has to offer. Apart from this, the nearest district to us was that of the Jordaan, a winding mass of canals, ivy leaves, cafe bars, antique shops and some really ace boutiques.

To be honest though, shopping was far from my mind in what is one of the most liberal and eloquent (two things sometimes hard to balance) cities I have ever had the pleasure of pacing around.

The usual vices aside, this was the perfect setting to stroll lazily around with my girl, getting lost in a labyrinth of side streets and scenarios, each more gorgeous than the last. Amsterdam is relaxation personified, with a leisurely outlook on life that is rarely seen in this country. To summarize, I could see myself living there one day in the future.

Anyhow, before I get lost in my thoughts and with a thousand ace memories fresh in my head, here's Amsterdam through my trusty and well loved lens complete with all its flaws, brash, bold but above all beautiful...























No comments:

Post a Comment