Thursday 3 January 2013

City Streets to Country Retreats, New Year - A Photographic Diary Pt 1...By Saul Wilks


New Year's eve has traditionally been spent playing out a three day bender, rolling from club to house to club and back again and generally feeling like life is the grand mother bitch for the duration of the following week. Last year we were lucky to have been playing a couple of parties, ending up doing the 4 - 7am slot at Feel My Bicep's afters, which was incredibly messy, but incredibly fun and lives long in the memory.

Having had a late booking this year, I decided to give the partying a swerve for a change and spend it with my girlfriend and her family, thus escaping the city and heading down to the beautiful countryside of Sussex. I must admit that boarding the Sussex bound train at Victoria on New Years Eve afternoon while seeing all manor of scamp's scuttling around in preparation for some serious party time had me feeling a little gutted that I wouldn't be joining them, but then in reflection I have no regrets about spending it in the serenity of some of the most beautiful scenery in the UK, in fact it made me realise that there's definitely more important things in life than playing records and getting on it.

I've been accused of being a deep thinker, and I'm afraid that this unqualified psychoanalysis has some grounds. At the risk of sounding too serious, I couldn't help but marvel at the beautiful differences between city and country as my train snaked out through the southern quarters of London town, past the dilapidated power station at Battersea and then out into the rural plains beyond the city limits. As it did so, an inner dialogue played out in my mind, weighing up the pro's and con's of both kingdoms - the hustle and bustle of the city, with it's electric feeling and the gravitational effect it has on me, and then the peaceful serenity of the wilderness of Albion, the quiet, the magnificently clean air and the unexplored villages and history.

Therefore this photo diary comes in two separate parts...

I guess the moral conclusion I took from this New Year was the importance of letting oneself rest and re-charge, indeed this New Year will herald the realisation of at least one ambition, and the time spent broken off from the inner sanctum of London's seductive pull will only enrich the time spent there and the ventures that lay stead fast on this budding fresh horizon.

A very happy and prosperous New Year to you all!



No comments:

Post a Comment