Saturday 13 April 2013

Iron Bridge... by Shaun Dangerfield

I grew up not far from Iron bridge in the new town of Telford, a pretty uninspiring place that's nice to look at in general but once you suss out what it's all about there it is quite a depressing place in my opinion.
I've been back over maybe three times in 6 years and it never seems to change. 
The one place I did like to go while growing up was Iron bridge only a few miles away and again nothing to do there really but it's nice to look at and it's good to take the kids to new places and show them as much of Britain as possible, and for me to take a couple of days off here and there and do this with them so to put a post up like this instead of non stop music and clothing is slightly refreshing, although I will most likely go straight into a clothing purchase after this ;-) because I know deep down you don't come on here to read about bridges. 
Luckily I'm not going to write too much about the bridge, it was more about the home made pork pie shop and Queenies Cupcake hut (I know I know but it was for the kids ok). 
I don't get more enjoyment than seeing the smiles on their faces as they try something new although my eldest is all about iPod/ipad/xbox and stuff, He-man and Greyskull and Gummy bears no doubt, I know what the kids are into. 
I've highlighted the cupcake in photo 2 because the beam from her face was too much for the camera, the sheer joy on my youngest's chubby little face as she received it was priceless. 

I don't know what it is but of late I look at her and see how much the smallest of things mean the world to her and it always brings me back down a peg or two when I'm thinking of other things like describing the detail of the latest shoes I've bought, which although I'm into on an obsessive level it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

It was a dull overcast day but it highlighted all the rustic qualities of the place.  The Ironbridge Gorge was originally called the severn gorge which was formed by the river severn running through, but was later changed when the bridge was built in 1779. 
This was the worlds first iron bridge of it's kind and is a monument to the industry that started there, it links Broseley and (what was a mining town) Madeley. 
The bronze soldier war memorial nestled next to the bridge is for the memory of the local soldiers who fought and died in the great war 1914-1918 world war 1. 

It's a very old world place still and I don't see it changing any time in the near future. 
I will say one thing though that was absolutely disgusting.... and that's the price of fish & chips there, that's the one thing that most certainly is more than up to date. 

"MAKE TEA NOT WAR" 


No comments:

Post a Comment