Tuesday 9 July 2013

Letterman Love...By Saul Wilks


It's been some time since I last posted something clothing related, especially where I'm talking about something I've recently purchased, so heed this novelty with great anticipation because it's been a long time coming.

I'm sure I don't have to point how just how busy both Shaun and I have been over the past few months and as a result of that sadly the posts have become less and less on here. The good news however is that, although we're still ball breakingly busy, we have got a little more time to fanny about posting pictures of clothes and record a few mixes etc...

So that's cool.

Moving onto the good stuff, I've always had a soft spot for classic American sportswear and the whole nostalgic vibe you get with vintage garments and I've always felt a certain fascination with the old Letterman sportswear.

Varsity, coach, college, baseball jackets and campus knits, whatever you want to label them as, they've always appealed, they hold a definitive charm for me - they hold history and stories - granted it was probably pre owned by a classic all American jock, who was most likely a complete tosser, who most likely bullied kids at school and what have you... although he probably scuttled a couple of cheer leaders in his time, so it's all swings and roundabouts and that all important history.


I've been looking for a decent fitting Letterman jacket for ages, they occasionally used to pop up at Spitalfields market on a Thursday morning but were either too small or ridiculously expensive, so I decided I'd take to the internet to track one down and track one down I did.

I managed to snare this original 1940's Nebraska example imported from the states and it's probably the most single killer piece of clothing I've ever bought. I don't care if it's cliché' for a white Welsh bloke to be talking about Letterman jackets and snap-back caps as dope, but that's exactly what these are, no question.


Being so old, the leather on the sleeves has worn to a beautiful softness and is a mosaic of wear patches and scuffs, which only makes it more ace in my eyes. The wool is in excellent condition for its age, coming in a deep crimson red - it contrasts with the off-tan leather quite perfectly.

It comes as no surprise that this purchase spurned me on to pick up the quality Ebbetts Field X Brooklyn Circus collaboration wool snap back in Burgundy - I've been known to sport a flat cap every now and then but caps and especially ball caps were never on my radar, but I honestly haven't had this off my nut since I picked it up last week in Brum, it's proper slick rick.

I'm not sure I'd wear the two together, that's maybe a little bit too street for my tastes, but what I love about both these pieces is that they are versatile in what I can wear them with - the Jacket goes beautifully with a button down Oxford and tasselled loafers, as does the cap go with the more cheeky hooded numbers lurking in my jacket wardrobe... mix and match innit!

Anyway, I promised myself when I started writing this that I wouldn't fill a whole page with good old Jonny Waffle, so I'll drop the shoulder here and leave you with some more snaps.

Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment