Friday 8 November 2013

Home Comforts...By Saul Wilks


I've been after a set of Melamine Melmex crockery and cups for quite some time, ever since wandering past one of Notting Hill's many overpriced bric a brac shops and seeing a set in the window. At the time I didn't know what they were or that they were grossly over priced and I remarked to my then girlfriend when I got home that I really wanted a set.

I'm no expert when it comes to these sorts of things, but I'd like to think I have a good eye when it comes to design and things that are aesthetically pleasing to the eye. These are definitely something that I fall in love with every time I look at them.

Earlier today I ventured to Cardiff Antiques market, otherwise known as Jacobs antiques. It's a hive of weird and wonderful goods, ranging a number of different era's and taking in everything from records to furniture.

I've been meaning to pop down there for a while specifically to see if they had these in and a few others bits I've been after for a while. In a nice twist of fate I managed to pick up a full set for 30 sheets, which was a really nice touch. 



To go along with my latest home-ware buys I also took delivery of this special issue of Japanese zine' Free & Easy. I've never really been willing to folk out a purple for a magazine, but I had to get this especially seeing as the issue was dedicated to Ivy style and its modern guise.

It was a no brainer really and twenty quid was dispatched without much thought. As it happens the colours go pretty nice with the Melamine set and so photographing these was a real pleasure - to me anyway.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - no truer words spoken.





No comments:

Post a Comment