Friday 31 August 2012

Once Upon a Time in the Cotswold's - A Photographic Diary...By Saul Wilks


I've had these photos stored away for about 3 months now, pictures taken on a weekend away I spent with my girlfriend in the beautiful surroundings of the Cotswold's. The tranquillity and sheer beauty of this area is unabated, offering gorgeous backdrops and scenes which ever way you choose to look.

Located right next to the river Windrush, the Old Swan and Minster Mill is perhaps one of the finest places I have ever had the pleasure of staying at within domestic borders, offering fine wines, delectable food and the sort of high quality service and relaxation that makes it the special place that it is.

It's the sort of place where you can easily let your imagination run wild and for someone for whom old buildings with deep histories strike a chord, I often found myself transported back to ye olden times, wishing my Ralph Lauren was actually some fine 19th century extravagant dandy laden get up.

Having not been to the Cotswold's before it was pretty ace to be able to take my girlfriend somewhere so nice that we both vowed to return again... From the moment we arrived to the time we left, we ate, drank and lived heartily - undeterred by the dubious British summer weather that was afforded to us the whole time we were there.

I think we both mentally tripled in age during our stay, playing out many competitive battles of scrabble while indulging over numerous glasses of rich red wine and mind melting cheese boards while a log fire burned just over from us. When darkness fell and we'd finished dining we retired to our river side abode to toast marshmallows on an open fire while an atmospheric twilight played out in the sky above us... The only way I could possibly describe it is spectacular.

A weekend like this, away from the usual vices that London or wherever else has to offer, is the perfect ticket to cleanse one's mind and take advantage of awe inspiring scenery and true leisurely luxury that doesn't come around too often and it really drove home to me the amount of time we all probably waste doing the same mundane things week in, week out.

At the risk of sounding like Lord Rupert of Newport with my hoorah Henry patter about cheese boards and fine wines, I think it's right that I leave the words there and let the pictures do the talking...

I haven't done this for a while so I guess all that's left to say is the obligatory 'Enjoy'...














No comments:

Post a Comment