Wednesday 13 February 2013

Barena, Beams+ and a Trip to Trunk Clothiers...By Saul Wilks


I've been meaning to get myself along to Trunk Clothiers for a little while, having heard some great things about the independent London boutique that's tucked away on the quaint streets of Marylebone. Trunk is a little off the beaten track and requires a brisk but thoroughly enjoyable stroll through the regal avenues that surround Oxford Circus, but it's most definitely worth it.

Upon arriving at Trunk, a quaint and traditional boutique that invokes a warm and welcome kind of feeling, I was greeted with very polite and knowledgeable staff who were only to willing to attend to my fussy needs. Aside from the excellent customer service, the one element that stood out for me above all other's was the exemplary brand list that Trunk stocks. With an interesting and carefully selected balance encompassing the likes of Japan's Nanamica, through to domestic classics such as North Sea Clothing and French contemporary giants Maison Kitsune.

I can only imagine Trunk being the stop off point for the true modern and international dandy, with such a rich and well presented selection of stock, set out impeccably well - more than seductive to one's coffers. Speaking of which I didn't set out that morning with benign intentions, having made a mental shopping list of some of the things I wouldn't mind picking up if my budget allowed.

Now it's now secret that I'm fond of a bargain, so I was delighted to find a healthy portion of sale stock still available along with the full RRP goodies, so, as always, here comes the fun part where I get to post loads of photographs of beautiful clothing that I've recently bought.


My wardrobe has taken a slight change in direction of late, with a steady but certain shift from buying parkas and hooded jackets in favour of investing in a slightly more sophisticated style. That's why the first thing I was drawn to and eventually bought, was this fine three button blazer from Barena.

The quality of this garment isn't just evident in the touch, on first sight you can tell this isn't any normal blazer. The rich wool mix makes this stand out, with a four button wrist detail and single chest pocket - still stitched of course - among my favourite details.

One thing's for sure, Barena is certainly worthy of it's sartorial plaudits, of which there are many. Along with this particular example, some of the new season Barena was equally as tempting but this just had that impeccable Ivy vibe going on, both in it's cut and style and I couldn't help but feel an irresistible urge to spend.


Having been enticed by all manor of exotic and finely constructed garments and with the above Barena already bagged up, I decided to reign in the wallet for a change and picked a sublime classic button down from Beams + which was my other Trunk purchase of the day.

I'm a sucker for a button down shirt and not so shy in expressing my love of gingham either, so this was an obvious choice for me. Having picked this up off the sale rack for a paltry seventy quid I had absolutely no complaints and for anyone who has bought Beams before, you'll need no explanation of how good this gear is - it's pretty much flawless.


The Japanese have always prided themselves on utter perfection and strived for unprecedented levels of quality when it comes to their technique and production of clothing and this ethos is perfectly exemplified by Beams.

Yes, I know it probably sounds like I'm sitting here having an orgasm over a button down shirt but I can't wax lyrical enough about how good it actually is. It's pretty much the best shirt I've ever bought and I'd go as far as sticking a big fat 'period' on the end of that, but then I know I'll be buying more from Beams + over the coming months, so for now there's no need for such blatant statements.


To summarise on what was a more than rewarding day, I'd urge any individual who hasn't been to Trunk to pay the store a visit as it's certainly one of the best places in London that stocks more than your average turn out.  

One thing's for sure, I now see Marylebone as being more than a railway station to purchase when striving for financial dominance in Monopoly...

...and quite rightly so.


No comments:

Post a Comment