Tuesday 2 April 2013

The Morning After the Night Before - A Photographic Diary...By Saul Wilks


Easter bank holiday came and went in a hazy blur of smiles, sunshine and sunglasses hidden eyes. Mystique, magic, memories, forgotten memories... It always seems to play out that way doesn't it? I've always wanted to document a night of excess and happiness through the eye of my camera so I can perhaps look back in years to come and say I didn't just take pictures of clothes and other menial bollocks.

At the risk of sounding like some far out hippie photo journalist, for me, taking photographs of the people I love in their most raw, beautiful and naturally happy state seems so much more fulfilling than a close up detail shot of the pocket from my latest jacket purchase.

I'm sure there will be some people who read this and skip these photos with some disdain, but then I'm sure there will be those that will appreciate them for what they are. Whatever your preference and opinion, these are simply my personal interpretation of the things that make me happiest in life, as far removed from staged self time shots as you can get.

These are real, these are happiness personified and these are memories that might have been lost, instead now immortalised for what they're worth. There's something very warming about that, but I guess that's the amazing thing about a photograph, capturing those genuine smiles, those moments of joy and that tangible rush when you lose yourself in fun and forget you're worries...

and that's a very special thing indeed.



No comments:

Post a Comment